Easy as ABC
The annual ABC (All Baby & Child) Kids Expo never ceases to amaze with its ever-evolving product features designed to make life easier for moms and safer for their children. This year — the 13th annual event — was no different. During our trip down the show aisles in Las Vegas this week, some trends were of particular interest.
Strollers that stretch, shrink and serve multiple purposes
- Austlen Baby Co.’s Entourage stroller can not only hold up to 150 lbs., but can adjust to more than 30 different configurations, enabling it to fit large items. These include the company’s expandable market tote, which sits at arm’s reach between the handlebar and front seat for easy access to baby’s essentials, drinks, cell phones or groceries. Larger items such as coolers and even luggage can also be accommodated. We thought Entourage was pretty amazing. It also won the Best in Show honor among the 2015 Most Innovative Products of the Year Awards announced by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) at ABC.
- On the other extreme, GB presented “a stroller that fits in your handbag.” The new Pockit stroller weighs only 9 lbs. and folds up so small, it even holds a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. The stroller features a sunshade and fully reclining seat, and folds quickly and easily.
- Meanwhile, Doona’s infant car seat comes with a “built-in mobility system” that turns it into a stroller at the touch of a button. Very efficient and very cool.
Fabrics and colors that capture attention
- Babyhome’s Wave bounce chair has a sleek base made of laminated wood. Wave has three different positions, including stationary, and can fold flat. The company also showed its Dream Premium bassinet in buttery brown leather.
- Pastels were passé for many brands, as numerous companies made a sophisticated grey the color of the day. 7A.M. Enfant has a new line of heather grey cold weather accessories for strollers, including stroller covers, hand muffs, travel bags, and a car seat cocoon.
- Pushing a stroller with one hand while holding an umbrella with the other has always been a feat. Yamb‘s Mumbrella solves the problem by attaching to the stroller handle and stowing neatly alongside the stroller with the push of a button.
- Monkey Mat offers a large cloth that provides a clean play space when traveling (just think of your little one crawling across airport floors), then easily folds back into a compact pouch.
Turning to Tech
- Evenflo’s Advanced Sensor Safe Embrace DLX Infant Car Seat uses technology to help prevent babies from being accidentally left in the car and suffering from heatstroke. Upon arriving at a destination, a series of tones notifies parents that baby is still in the vehicle.
- Skip Hop’s new Explore More Amazing Arch Baby Gym lets moms and dads pop a smartphone behind the play mirror on the arch for video chats and snapshots of baby.
- The Hatch Baby Smart Changing Pad allows parents to track baby’s growth, feedings, temperature, sleep and diaper changes from their smartphones.