Child’s Play Announces Results of Social Media Moms Study
Does social media really impact moms’ purchasing decisions?
Here at Child’s Play Communications, we knew from our experience connecting companies with moms in social media that the answer was yes, but we wanted to offer greater insight into how and to what degree social media influences what moms buy. Toward that end, we commissioned The NPD Group, a leading market research company, to conduct an in-depth survey of moms across the U.S. based on a series of questions we developed. The just released “Social Media Moms: How Networking Impacts Purchasing Behaviors” provides a comprehensive understanding not only of what motivates moms’ purchasing decisions but also of moms’ overall use of social media. Following are some key finding:
- 79% of all moms in the U.S. with children under the age of 18 are active in social media
- Of these moms, about one in four (23%) said they have purchased a children’s product as a result of a recommendation from a social networking site or blog.
- Online recommendations have even more impact among the most frequent social media users: 43% of active social media moms who use these sites on a daily basis have purchased a children’s product as the result of a recommendation from these sites.
- More than half (55%) of these moms said they made their purchase because of a recommendation from a personal review blog.
- 40% of these moms made a purchase because of a Facebook recommendation.
The NPD Group fielded an online survey to members of NPD’s online panel and to members of the Child’s Play Communications online panel. The two different sources provided data to create both a holistic view of U.S. moms and their interaction with social media, as well as a deep-dive into the behaviors and preferences of social media moms. The complete survey is available for purchase from NPD.
Clearly, moms nationwide are making purchasing decisions as a result of the information and advice other moms are providing through social media.
How about you? Have you made a purchase as a result of a social media recommendation? Was it from a blog? What did you buy and why?